0161 694 0404
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
One could say Manchester Airport as it is today, came about as something of a fluke; in 1928 Barton, near Eccles was originally chosen to be the site for Manchester’s main aerodrome.
As building work commenced at Barton, Manchester City Council were keen to have a Municipal Airport established, and so made the decision to build a temporary airfield near Wythenshawe, South Manchester, which opened in 1929.
By mid-1930 work at Barton Aerodrome was finished, complete with a control tower and a large hangar, ready for the influx of aircraft. Four years later Dutch carrier KLM discussed opening a Holland to North of England service, with aircraft becoming ever larger, Barton is considered unsuitable, and plans are made to re-locate.
In 1935 work on Manchester Airport, Ringway, as it was then known, begins. By 1938 building of Manchester Airport is complete and it officially opens on June 25th it handles 7600 passengers in its first year.
With the outbreak of war, Manchester Airport becomes a hive of Military activity, with engineering and aircraft production. Three new runways and ten hangars are built.
Peacetime passenger services resume in 1946 with the airport having scope for a much larger capacity.
By the mid-fifties, Manchester Airport welcomes its millionth passenger since World War II growth continues apace, and by 1978 fifteen airlines fly from Manchester to 37 destinations.
In the following years, many milestones are passed, including the building of a World Freight Terminal, a second runway and two new passenger terminals.
To this day the airport continues to thrive and has become a truly global hub, connecting millions of passengers from all over the world with the North of England.
Add a Valet
Useful Contact Numbers
Terms and Conditions
Leave a Review
NPS Parking Ltd All Rights Reserved